I recently had an interesting conversation with an old friend at our college re union. Saying that she has done well for herself in the will be an understatement & hence I was startled at the mind set of this woman. She was always the class topper & no one was surprised when she got admitted in the IIM – Ahmedabad without any difficulty. It’s been 5 years since we graduated from college & I don’t have to think twice before saying that she has been the greatest success story from the entire friend circle.
It was great catching up with the girl I used to copy my notes from; reliving the past – sharing the newly acquired memories – flirting – talking about the future plans!
Ankit passed us & ruined the entire mood – at least for her – by vomiting a polite taunt “WOMEN RULE!!!” I suddenly started winning all the arguments without realizing that Anu had stopped talking!!
We didn’t speak much after that point & got involved in mingling with our long lost friends. Music faded – bar went dry – Prachi was helped to the loo. We bid adieu to everyone with a promise to organize such get together every month – What a load of crap!!
“Will you drop me home?” asked Anu; being a gentleman that I am – I cudnt refuse.
“You have no idea how hard it is for women in today's world!” she said
“Yeah …it’s pretty scary …but Bombay is million times better compared to Delhi …I don’t think women in our nation’s capital even know what freedom or safety actually means”
“What??? No dude …I’m talking bout the corporate world. It’s so easy for everyone to assume that women get an easy way out ….WOMEN RULE …I felt like slapping Ankit for using those words”
I honestly didn’t have any reply; in fact my ears refused to accept these words from a “successful” woman. Not wanting to put her off any further I kept my comments to myself. Being the nice guy that I am – I offered her a halt for ice cream …smartly concealing my craving for the sizzling brownies.
“Ain't both sexes equal in front of the management?” I cudnt resist any further
“Easier said then done” came a prompt reply
“I would have understood the biased behavior probably 5 years back …but today I think everyone IS judged on equal terms”
“What’s the ratio of male’s to females in your organization”
“3:1 in favor of guys …but that doesn’t mean I don’t wanna hire women …it simply means I haven’t come across good female candidates”
“Lets not talk about it … please!”
We finished our ice creams – enjoyed the light drizzling – laughed at Prachi for puking all over the place – dropped her home – hugged good bye – reached home with her words still lingering in my head.
I cudnt put my finger at the problem she might be having but I was sure that something was bothering her. IS the corporate world really harsh on women? Have the educated minds really come to a conclusion that men & women are equal? Are men considered better quipped at executing a certain job which requires ONLY brains? Do women let there emotions ruin things for them?
Here’s my take on this issue –
Ever since the primitive days men have been the hunters (read destructive, outgoing, untamed & forceful) and women were the home maker (read passive, introvert, careful & emotional). However, I dare say in today’s world women are shedding there image at a steady pace - Slow as compared to evolution but at a high-speed as compared to the “hunters”. Being a near perfect employer – I would say the so called “BOSS” needs to have the right balance of brains and heart in simpler words women & men have an equal part to play in any company’s success story. People from Mars & Venus have a lot to learn from one another – the faster they do, the better. Constantly increasing bank account or profit amount shouldn’t be the bottom line. Who’s to know what goes on behind the closed door of the management!
What say Miss Sharma?
3 comments:
Welcome Vish :)
Nice first post....
We are thriving towards changing the world to a "woman's world" ;)
Nice Post buddy, well said too!!! :)
If u r trying to say that now women are fast becoming destructive, outgoing, untamed & forceful? (your description of man as a hunter)then perhaps you are right!
They always ruled...thru diplomacy. Just that they never let men think so. "The street smart woman who lets everyone believe that she is a dumb bimbo?" You called it an art.
NOW they ARE letting men think so. That's the only difference.
Post a Comment